June 12, 2009

Return of the Mack

It's been a long time

I shouldn't have left you

Without some dope blogs to step to.


 

E komo mai, (welcome) and good times!

I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies in an only half-sincere sort of way for not blogging recently. But I won't. There have been some pretty big changes afoot in my life that have kept me from spilling my egotistical guts on the world-wide interwebs. For those of you who know, too bad, I'm gonna rehash the events for my legions of reader. Poor soul.

First off, I finally completed my grad school classes. Yeah, I know, Hooray For Me! Now, for those of you who know my style, you're probably saying "Why wouldn't he capitalize every letter?" Well, I still have a lot of work to do on my thesis project. I'm not going to divulge exactly what it is in case the thesis polices are lurking around, lying in wait to steal my horrendously beautiful idea. Sucks to be you. But anyway, I'm out of Illinois, away from the Windy City, the City of Big Shoulders, the Home of Bill Murray, the den of Hurricane Ditka and settling into the Motor City. But fret not, I'm nestling snugly into that hockey-ravenous arm-pit of the Midwest, Detroit. As t Matthew Lillard said at the end of SLC Punk (a severely underrated movie, btw (interweb code for blue tango watermelon, I think—not sure why it's applicable here, but whatever), "I realized I could do a lot more damage inside of the system than outside of it." So yeah, I'm planning on bringing down the Red Wing Empire single-handedly. If my wife doesn't put a stop to my plans first. But since they're not well-developed, she'll have a hard time stopping them. I can just wing it (pun definitely NOT intended) and when I'm done, say it was my master plan all along. Except that I just gave you my plan. Meaning I have one. Or do I?


 

Secondly off, apparently, married couples go on what's called a "Honeymoon" to celebrate their new union. Well, we didn't do that right away. We decided to wait seven months to see if the wifey decided to off me before then. Well, I made it, we went to Kauai, and if you ever have the chance…go. I can't say enough about how beautiful the island is. It's much less developed than O'ahu, and from what I've heard, not nearly as resorty as Maui. Waimea Canyon, Wailua River Valley, Po'ipu Beach …all gorgeous. And if you want a great trip, hook up with Captain Andy's for a sunset dinner cruise. We were supposed to see the NaPali Cliffs on the north side of the island, but due to super-duper-windy conditions, settled for the southern shore, and a dolphin extravaganza as a gaggle of Spinner dolphins (dolphins travel in gaggles, right?) swam alongside us for 10-15 minutes. Super-duper-cool. Final advice: if you ever fly to Kauai, try to go as non-stop as possible to Lihue, as changing flights in San Francisco and Honolulu makes for an extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely long day, and four to five hour flights don't let you get enough sleep.


 

Tertiarily off, there's nothing quite like a "job search" to invigorate a newly graduated master's student. Except, of course, a "job search" in one of the two worst job markets since the Beginning of Time. Otherwise known as Tim Tebow's birthday to those buffoons in North Cuba. But really, why wouldn't I be excited to find employment when the national unemployment rate is somewhere around 6,482%? Which, I think, means there are four jobs available nationwide.


 

Now, do yourself a favor and check out the new album, The Ecstatic, from Mos Def. I'll have a full review for your cranial pleasure soon. Until then, mahalo, and aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment