March 19, 2009

Santos L. Halper

I am more than happy to announce a new member of the Hefley clan. I'm not exactly sure how this happened, but he's black, so I'm assuming this may have something to do with the fact that our milkman is part Chihuahua. And for some reason, I have become a magnet for homeless Chihuahuas over the last few years.

It all started a couple of years ago when I rescued a little lady from the Wendy's on Cumberland Avenue between classes. Penelope, as she is known, is a wonderful little lass who currently resides in Knoxville with my uncle. She became rather attached to his other adopted daughter, Chelsea, so when I moved out, it seemed extremely mean to break up the band. She still gets a little crazy when her adoptive father comes in town, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

The second Chi entered my life after my then-girlfriend, now wife adopted from PFONG, or Pet Friends of North Georgia. Chipper's been with us for about 3 years now, and has taken up Old Man status around the house. He's a great dog, but severely attached to his mother, and barely pays me any notice, except when I come bearing grub.

But the most recent addition came to us in a more roundabout way. A couple of friends of mine in Chicago were driving home Saturday, when they noticed some cars on the side of the Dan Ryan Expressway, and pulled over to see what the hub-bub was. Turns out the drivers of the other cars were attempting to corral a small dog to no avail. According to legend, when Josh got out, though, the dog hopped right in the car. Kind of King Arthur/Sword in the Stone-ish, right? Well, due to the fact that they already own a Bodie-dog, and reside with a Chili-dog, too (mmm….chili-dog) they weren't sure if they could tolerate three male dogs in one townhouse. So here comes "I can't turn down an adorable, semi-homeless dog Jared" to the rescue. Of course. My Thursday class got cancelled, so I left for my non-collegiate home a day early to surprise my wife, and present her with a new dog, which she quickly took to. Chipper, though, has kept his reservations about this intruder, but seems to be getting along with him. At least for now. His name is Wentworth (for the street he was found on), and he is a cute little bugger, even if he doesn't go to sleep easily, but we expect big things from him in the future. I'm hoping starting outfielder for the Blue Jays, while my wife is leaning towards doctor. But as long as he doesn't end up a lawyer, I think we'll be happy!

Until next time, aloha, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment